Monday, March 21, 2011

The Book


We’re brothers true, both me and you
            Part of the same big family
We’re red, black, white and yellow too
            So sad we can’t live peacefully
Man’s escalating his arms race
In sending billions out to space
While here on earth grave problems face
Those of our near posterity

What can we do both me and you?
            Voices in the wilderness calling fear
Multinational companies over all
            Vested interests both far and near
In desperation I explored
Philosophies from all abroad
None of them left me overawed
Just feeling empty after all

Some beliefs I just can’t see
            They’re far too violent you’ll agree
To strap a bomb around my chest
            And blow me to eternity
The Sunni and the Shiite kind
To hate each other are inclined
They will with God no virgins find
And Jihad never satisfies

But then the so-called Christians say
            “Look here! We’ll fill you full of awe”
But wait up now don’t speak so fast
            In your realm started two world wars
Christendom's faiths we now behold
We see them steeped in deaths untold
They did not soldiers lives withhold
But fought for national sovereignty

“They have The Book!” I hear you cry
            “The Holy Bible they proclaim”
Be sure they do each one speaks out
            Words not in line with truth are vain
They philosophise and speculate
The sacred writings they berate
With evolution they relate
And teaching truth we just don’t see

I have read of other faiths
            There are so many to be sure
A myriad sects beliefs and ways
            They plead – "knock on our hallowed doors"
But none proclaim a way so pure
And everlasting life assure
They all just paint such thin allure
Their wise men merely fantasise

I was sure there’s God above
            And he’s the sovereign over all
The Book says simply “God is Love”
            With hypocrites He’s not enthralled
In loving purpose we should find
His faithful ones to each are kind
They do not selfish interests mind
But love each other through and through

And then one day while on my way
            I heard a knock upon my door
A well dressed man The Book in hand
            Showed cause for hope and then much more
The prophecies both proved and bold
From thence far Eden now unfold
The way to life so clearly told
Harmonious beauty; dignified

So now you see my faith restored
            I see The Book for what it’s worth
Heed not those faiths just claiming God
            Hypocrisy demonstrates a dearth
The Book I hold in reverent awe
See purpose in its holy law
Close to my maker I now draw
Exceeding comfort heartens me

I’ve come to learn it’s not in vain
            That God lets wickedness hold sway
Anguished ones like me and you
            With groaning sighs sincerely pray
In seeking reasons we have looked
In every covert cranny, nook
To find them all within The Book
And loving reason satisfies

Within God's Word we’re taught to pray
            'Please let your name be sanctified'
'Please let your Kingdom come O Lord'
            Your rulership will satisfy
Man's rebellion and self-rulership
Has brought us right here to the brink
It’s failed what more now can we think?
Please rescue us immediately

Be sure it’s all there in The Book
            Just seek to read it every day
It is no burden no big chore
            Its wisdom leads us on our way
It shines above all other tomes
It shows the way just it alone
If spurned it will not lead us home
Wisdom’s light embodified

No comments:

Post a Comment